Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2002 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Robert Scott Elementary School
6855 Market Street, PO Box 668
Port Hardy, British Columbia V0N 2P0
Principal: Malcolm Fleeton
School Telephone: 250-949-6362
School Fax: 250-949-2379
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 5-6, all subjects
- Just as life is an adventure for the spirit, learning is an adventure for the mind. Creativity is its playground while thinking is its universe.
Engages students in activities that build on and extend beyond the prescribed curriculum. For example:
- active participation in local municipal election, including an all-candidates' visit to the classroom and a mock election (which, except for the position of mayor, showed the same results as the adults' vote); students gained an important understanding and appreciation of the electoral process
- a local historian's visit to discuss the history of old fort near Port Hardy led to students' research into its name: Was Fort Rupert named for a local resident or was it connected to the Hudson's Bay Company and Rupert's Land?
- a spontaneous visit by British Columbia's Lieutenant Governor, which inspired a quickly organized and remarkably successful class trip to Victoria to see Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip during their visit; students reflected on their trip and experience in several writing exercises.
- arrival of a large pod of killer whales chasing sea lions into Port Hardy harbour sparked a six-month study of whales, sea lions, dolphins and oceans; students composed a whale song, researched whale facts, compared their body measurements with those of whales.
"Mrs. Check devotes a great deal of time working towards opening up the young minds of the children she teaches." Parent
"I have been very impressed by the politeness and interest shown by Mrs. Check's students and by the professionalism and dedication she has shown over the last five years." Mayor of Port Hardy
- Date modified: