Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2001 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Burnsview Junior Secondary School
Delta, British Columbia V4C 4V8
Principal: Alex Watson
School Telephone: 604-594-0491
School Fax: 604-594-6352
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 8 to 10, all subjects for students with learning disabilities
- Students are the captain of their fate and the master of their soul. Even those with severe learning disabilities can be empowered to lead themselves and achieve successful lives.
- If students are to be independent lifelong learners, it is of utmost importance that they understand their personal learning styles and difficulties and know effective strategies to manage them.
Designed and manages a successful dynamic program for students with severe learning disabilities and significant delays in social-emotional development. Ms. Hedley develops an individual education plan for each student tailored to their specific difficulties, designed to encourage students to excel, and provides a dizzying array of learning centres, specialized activities, teaching strategies, software applications, study guides, behaviour self-assessment routines, and more.
Students succeed beyond expectations.
- All students showed significant improvement in reading ability; some reading scores improved by 500 to 1000 percent.
- Since joining her class, more than 90 percent of students now attend class regularly.
- There is a100 percent retention rate in the class, despite the fact that it is not mandatory for these students.
She is a member of a rare breed, a gifted and creative teacher, who models for and imbues her students with a high level of commitment, a sound work ethic and a very healthy sense of self-criticism as well as a strong sense of self worth. Fellow teacher
To see Angelika manage a classroom of students engaged in a variety of tasks is to see a consummate professional in action. Colleague
To me, you are the saint of the school system and an awesome teacher. The help you have given me has saved me. Student