Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
- Jacquelyn Sturton Video Profile
[ Flash, 12.2 MB ]
- * Please read important information relating to the treatment of multimedia files.
Year: 2009 – Province: Manitoba
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Pinawa Cooperative Nursery School
PO Box 2
Pinawa MB R0E 1L0
Type of Setting: Nursery school for children ages 3 and 4
Children in Pinawa, Manitoba—a town of 1500 people, about 100 km northeast of Winnipeg—usually make the transition to nursery school very easily. Parents say this is because their children have all known Jackie Sturton since birth. Jackie, who has been an educator and advocate for children and families for more than 19 years, makes a point of meeting all the new babies in town soon after they are born and continues her connection throughout their early years.
Philosophy of Care
Both at the nursery school and on her own time, Jackie works extensively with parents and families to help them with the challenges of parenting young children. Jackie firmly believes that caring and knowledgeable families who are connected and supported within the community form the basis of the ideal atmosphere for the growth and development of children. At school, Jackie strives to provide the most positive, educational and encouraging atmosphere possible to promote growth and learning among children.
Support of Child Development
- Jackie recognizes the creativity and individualism of each child, and tailors her programs to provide an appropriate learning environment for the children in her care. Parents are often relieved and grateful to realize that Jackie has a real skill for recognizing children's special characteristics and responding accordingly, such as accepting and channeling the vigour of a highly energetic child during the day's activities.
- Jackie provides each of the children with a private opportunity to explore the classroom and meet the teacher with a parent before classes start.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
Jackie focuses much of her effort on offering support and information to empower parents, and perseveres in organizing and delivering educational, caring and fun programs for young children:
- In 2006, Jackie became trained through the Positive Parenting Program, which is a multi-level parenting and family support program aimed at preventing behavioural, emotional and developmental problems in children by enhancing the knowledge, skills and confidence of parents as they communicate, discipline and interact with their children.
- Jackie is involved in the Ready, Set, Grow program, which prescreens three— and four-year-olds for school readiness as well as vision, hearing, speech, fine and gross motor skills. With this specialized experience, Jackie assesses whether a child may need specialized attention in these areas, communicates with parents and sets up the necessary contacts with medical or other professionals.
- Jackie was one of the founders of grassroots, a local program to provide community support for families raising children (from birth to kindergarten). Jackie is the facilitator and leads many of the programs, which include potlucks, guest speakers, nights out for moms, story time at the library, and parenting workshops.
"Her enthusiasm is infectious! She is not afraid to step forward and work toward greater goals, nor to unwaveringly request assistance and funds when she believes it is in the interest of children." Colleague
"Jackie Sturton is a fantastic role model to all people; a hard worker; a dedicated professional; an honour to know and be in the company of; she is calm; she is aware and sincere. I have been a professional for 18 years, and have never worked with anyone quite like Jackie Sturton. She is a gift." Colleague